Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sickness, snow, and ice slowing me down!!

It was bound to happen. I haven't been sick in months. I actually thought to myself the other month, "man, I haven't been sick in awhile." Well, all it took was winter to get here and there I was sick for a week. It is always about a week process. And I am pitiful when I am sick. Plus, this time around I have a new job that is more demanding and I didn't feel like I could just take off if I was feeling bad. I got "sent home" a few days because I was feeling pretty rough and it showed.

Meanwhile, I was not running. David was adamant that I would not go to the gym if I was sick. I agreed with him and plus I didn't feel like running. I just wanted to sleep. A few days of no running and I started to get stir crazy and felt the pressure of missing my training runs. David encouraged me to give myself more time to recover. I finally waited till Saturday - a whole 7 days since my last run which I felt so guilty about. David told me not to push it - not to try and make up for the time I had lost. I told him I would. And I tried, but I failed.

The plan was to run an easy three. Then I started increasing the speed on the treadmill. I'm not going to lie. Three was hard. And it made me frustrated. How can running three miles be this difficult when I ran seven miles with ease last week? I was determined to push myself and thought my body was probably just trying to fight laziness. Well, what I learned was that my body was trying to tell me to stop. Did I listen? Heck no. I just kept running. I said, "Please, you can run farther than this, let's run 4."

And that's what I did. I ran 4 and it was painful. That last mile I was snotty and gross. I was super red faced. Right when I stepped off the treadmill I knew I had pushed too hard. I knew Hal would not approve. Dang it. I took a shower hoping I would feel better. It worked for the first hour or two, but then I felt it. My nose started running Saturday afternoon and didn't stop until sometime Monday. I was sneezing, my nose felt completely congested, I was miserable...again. I cried on Sunday when I woke up still feeling so bad. I knew this may have something to do with the fact that I jumped back into it a little early and then I pushed when I finally got back to running. Mistake.

To my surprise it actually snowed and iced the roads Sunday night, so Monday we were off work and I was able to use it as another day to recuperate. I needed it. Tuesday I felt much better, but the ice was worse. Roads were closed, schools were closed, Courts were closed, grocery was closed, my work was closed, and worst of all gym was closed. Geeze. I couldn't get a break. The thing about snow and ice? Well, it doesn't make for great running conditions. I was not about to go running outside in 20 degree weather and break my ankle. Talk about a real training problem.

I figured Wednesday would be better. So, here comes Wednesday and I am praying I can make it to the gym to run and more importantly -WORK! So, David and I got dressed and ready to go. We hopped in the car and backed out of the driveway and SKIDDDDDDDD I started sliding all over the road and couldn't make it up the hill. Luckily we got the car back in the driveway. We decided it wasn't worth it to go to work, so back to the house we went for day THREE of being stuck in the house.

I figured maybe I could walk to the gym. It is about a mile and half. If I cut through Blackburn Park maybe I could make it closer to a mile. I looked up the Y online and to my surprise- CLOSED. Again? I started thinking maybe I would just run loops in the basement. I was desperate people. I realized that was kind of a stupid idea, so I opted to drink wine and play Yatzee with David instead. Meanwhile in the last week and a half I have only run ONCE. And it was a total disaster.

Here is hoping that Thursday is better! I will make it to work and run! It's gotta happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment