Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sunday Long Run and Mishaps

Me after finishing my long run and looking happier then I really was...

I had so many issues on this run. The first problem is that I have had so much personal stuff going on in my life that my mind has just been totally adrift. Running is far from my mind, but somehow I have managed to stay committed to my training schedule. Today was a "step down week" as Hal calls it. Basically the long runs on the weekend increase in mileage every week for two weeks, then the third week the long run is scaled back. For example, two weeks ago I ran 9, then last week I ran 10, and then this week I only had to run 7.  Because I "only" had to run 7 I felt like I could be flexible about when I ran. I almost always run on Saturday mid-mornings, but this Saturday's weather was only 40 degrees with 16 mile an hour winds. No thanks. Sunday was going to be 51 and Sunny, so I opted to waited for Sunday.

A Sunday run was new to me, so I wasn't exactly sure how I was going to plan my day. I knew we had church at 11 and brunch after wards with friends and then I figured I'd wait an hour or so and then go run. Well, we didn't get to brunch till about 12:30 and I was starved. The oatmeal I'd had at 8:30 was long gone. I decided I would get the french toast. I mean, it's carbs, right? ;) And David got this delicious blt breakfast sandwich. Well, for some reason I just dove right in with this french toast and then halfway through switched with David and ate some of his sandwich while he finished off my french toast.

I have no idea what I was thinking. I stuffed myself silly and then immediately felt exhausted. I haven't been sleeping well because of this personal stuff I'm dealing with. Anyhow, I was overcome with exhaustion and came home and crashed. David woke me up about an hour later and I was feeling yuck. I definitely didn't want to run, but he encouraged me to get out the door.

Once I was out there I immediately knew this wasn't going to be the best run. Do you have those days? I was just not feeling it and my mind was somewhere else. To top it off, my trail I love to run was super muddy and I quickly realized I wouldn't be doing multiple loops in this muddy mess. This meant I had to come up with a new route on the fly. This also meant that I ran into a lot of unexpected hills and turnarounds. It was not the most "fluid" run I have ever had. And then I started having some serious cramps, which I rarely get. It had to be all the food I ate for brunch. I was kicking myself. Why had I eaten all of that? Oh well, I pushed through.

About mile 5 I started to feel better and got a second wind although I was already wanting this run to be over. I headed into a new neighborhood I hadn't explored which kept me interested and the run seemed to go by somewhat faster. About mile 6 I started feeling my knees bothering me. I was surprised I was feeling that at mile 6. And then the cramps came back. UGHHH. Let this be over soon. I tried to run a super fast last mile so I could just get it done.

I actually enjoyed that last mile because I just pushed it much as I could and after it was over I felt relieved and happy that I hadn't given up. There was one point in the run where I ran past my car after about 4 miles and thought, "why don't i just go home? today is not my day." I knew I would regret that decision, so I kept running along. I am glad that I did. Lesson learned is that not every day will be  a good running day. It just doesn't work that way. And in times like that, you just have to get through it and make the most of it that you can. It makes you a better runner.

Considering I was kinda miserable during the run, my time was pretty decent and in line with my other longs runs (maybe even a little faster)...

I did manage to enjoy the sunset over the lake after the run. It was a nice way to end things.

My knees were still achy when I got home so it was time for ice. I was kinda bummed with this run, but I tried to remember that every run is a new lesson learned - good and bad.

A little ice and using "the stick" and my legs were feeling much better. I think the reason I was more achy then usual today is because I cross trained yesterday instead of taking a day off like I typically do before a long run. I figured it wouldn't be too big of a deal to just switch my cross and long run days, but I don't think my knees liked that. For cross training I did the bike and the arc trainer. Maybe I pushed to hard yesterdat... 

I think it's best to work your schedule so you have a day off before you do a long run. It gives your legs the rest they need before they endure lots of pounding the next day. Like I said, all lessons to be learned!!

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately, they're not all easy runs. I also really struggle if I have a lot in my stomach before I run. I'm glad you were able to push through and get it done. Most of the time the peace of mind of knowing you didn't skip out is worth the pain of the run! ;)

    Thinking of you and hoping that you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete