Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Recovery Long Run

Well, it has been two weeks since I have done a long run, so I was nervous. I have been feeling so down about the fact that I have been off and on with my training plan because of my sickness and then the snow. Last night I went to dinner with friends and instead of carbing it up like I know I should before a long run, I had a salad. And then I had a margarita. I had kinda made up my mind at dinner that I was just going to do my long run on Sunday instead. After dinner we went to Cafe Intermezzo and I started thinking that in case I decided to run tomorrow that I should start drinking lots of water and I did.

This morning I woke up and immediately regretted wanting to move my run back to Sunday. I knew we had church Sunday and I also may need to do some work, so I knew there wouldn't be much time for running. Today was definitely a better day in terms of timing. However, I knew I hadn't really fueled properly last night, so I was worried. I spent most of the morning lounging in the house ate some oatmeal, baked some muffins and pondered whether I should run. Another factor was the weather. It was sunny and 40, so definitely easy running weather, but I also knew that although a lot of the ice had melted, there was still a lot of ice left on the roads. I walked outside in my PJs and realized the sun and warm(er) temps were quickly melting much of the ice, so that I could probably run outside if I wanted.

I got on itunes and downloaded so more music with my itunes gift card I got for Christmas. I got dressed and thought about a route in my head. Hal's plan called for 9 this week, but I had already told myself that I would shoot for 8 instead and that I wouldn't push myself. I said that if I felt I was exhausted and hurt that I would stop and cut my run short.

I headed out and had no real idea how the run was going to go or whether I would be running 5 miles or 6 miles or 8. I figured I'd just take it easy and see how I felt. Once I headed out I quickly noticed the sidewalks that looked like this:

Yikes. I knew that I would have to stick to running in the roads for the most part - at least through the neighborhood until I could get to the main roads. Luckily there weren't too many people driving through the neighborhood, so I navigated my way pretty easily on the roads. There was usually always a solid path where I could run with no ice. At times I had to get creative. Some parts of the roads had been in the shade for the most part and were still pretty icy.

I made my way around and before I knew it I had knocked out 3 miles and I was feeling really good. I figured I could at least do 6 and I planned my route accordingly. I ran over to my favorite place - murphey candler park. Once I got to the pond I saw that it was completely frozen over still. Everything was so beautiful and quite. I wish I had my camera! I attempted to run on the trails there, but most of the ground was still covered in slushy snow or was soaking wet/muddy from the recently melted snow. The park also has a ballpark there with a water fountain. I had tried the water fountain at blackburn park with no luck. Pipes frozen? So I was hoping that this fountain would be working. To my surprise the water came on! It made me feel better knowing that I could get some water and stay hydrated.

On my way back I decided to take Hart's Mill road which had the most ridiculous hill ever. I have to take a pic of this thing. It is insane. I have run it so many times, but not like this. I had been on the main roads so much that I had kind of forgotten about the ice. I had heard that Hart's Mill was pretty treacherous during the snow storm - mostly because that hill which was covered in ice. I didn't realize how bad the road was until I started venturing up the hill. The sidewalks were covered in ice and I was forced to either run on the ice/snow and pray that I wouldn't fall or run in the road. But this is a somewhat busy road, so I had to go back and forth between icy sidewalks and the road when there were no cars.

The hill was also a stupid idea considering I was supposed to be taking it easy, but I hadn't really thought that through (obviously)! I was trying to take the fastest route back to my house because I knew that I was getting close to the end of my mileage. I figured by the time I made it to my house I'd have run 7 miles and I could decide from there whether I wanted to go any further. After a frustrating mile of running through the snow (how do people in the north do this?!?!), I finally made it back to my street which is about the time I started to feel my knees and hip flexor bothering me. My knees had been a little sore after the climb up the hill. I figured it was mostly due to the fact that I hadn't run very much in the last two weeks, so my body wasn't really prepared. My hip flexor is another issue. I had problems with it during my first half. I figured out that if I just stretch it really well before I run that it won't flare up. I didn't have any problems with it during my second half marathon.

As I approached my house, I was at 7 and my knees were not very happy, but I figured I only had another mile. I knew a nearby half mile loop, so I would reassess after a half mile. About .25 in,  I knew that that I was not going to push it to 8 miles. A girl was running about 15 feet in front of me at the same speed. We ran together for most of the loop. As I approached the last hill my knees were screaming. I knew I was done. She looked behind me and smiled and said, "it's good to be able to get back outside and run." I managed to say something like, "yeah it sure is" and then I stopped at the top of the hill for a BIG stretch. Ahhhh. I felt better instantly, but I also knew it was a little late and that my muscles were done for the day. When I got back to the house I was glad to be done.


  and I did some more serious stretching:

This is my awesome hip flexor stretch. Not the best angle or picture, but you get the idea. You can't really tell, but I am bending my left knee - kinda in a sitting position. My right hip is the one that bothers me, so this stretch allows it to open up.

After stretching I used "the stick" seen here - http://www.thestick.com/index.cfm This thing is AMAZING, but it deserves its own post, so more about that another day.

I am just very happy that I got through a long run and that I felt pretty good overall. It was really just my legs that were tired at the end since my mileage has been so low these past weeks.

Things I learned/or was reminded of today: 
1) STRETCH before a long run. Always. Period.
2) Wear thicker socks on a long run. These thin Nike running socks are only good for short runs. After awhile they just start to rub my feet raw.
3) Hydrate the night before and during the run. It always makes for a better running experience.

Overall - good solid run. I kept a good pace that Hal would approve of:

2 comments:

  1. I just got the stick as well and like it. Also use the foam roller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had a bunch of knee and hip flexor issues too and also attribute them to running the hills in my neighborhood. Sounds like you are doing all the right things to deal with it though! Good job navigating the snowy/icy streets!

    ReplyDelete