I had a hard time getting motivated -especially when I saw the temps outside. 35 feels like 28. Nasty. I know this wouldn't be too terrible for people who run up north, but for this southern girl who only owns 1 pair of running pants, it was tough. I am usually determined to wear shorts unless it is just too terribly cold. Usually in the 30s I can stand it. I waited till around 12:30 to run since it was getting progressively warmer. When I headed out it was 38 feels like 32 or something like that. Gross.
When I first started I wore my shorts and a long sleeve tech tee over a short sleeve tech. Once I got out on the road I quickly realized that was NOT going to work. I had to turn around and go back and grab three things: a warmer long sleeve tee, gloves, and my wrap around ear warmer. My biggest complaint about this thing is that it is so bulky that I can barely wear my hat or visor:
Not the most attractive thing, but it does the trick. The deal is that last winter I did almost all of my running inside on the treadmill - even my long runs. This winter I have the forerunner, so I am always dying to go outside and use it when I can. The lack of running experience in the cold means that I have almost no cold weather running clothes. Seriously, it is kind of sad. I really need to get some good solid pieces of winter running gear - any suggestions? It was pretty hilarious running in gloves. This was the first time I have run in gloves and I kept hitting the wrong button my ipod because of it. What a cold weather newbie.
And another thing about running in the cold - sorry, this is kind of gross, but my nose runs. Like all the time. It is so weird. Does anyone else have this problem? It eventually gets better, but especially at first, I am so snotty and gross - but only in this cold weather. I don't know what it is...
Anyhow, after I revamped my outfit with a heavier tee that I could later toss if I needed (and come back for- don't worry, I don't litter!) and some gloves, I was off. I couldn't believe how cold it was. When I was running through the snow last weekend it was warmer. The wind was brutal, but the more I ran, the warmer I got. I was headed to Murphey Candler park - one of my favorite long run spots. Once I got there I tossed my long sleeve-sweatshirt-thing (not an official running gear by any means) behind a tree, along with my gloves and headed out for the trail:
Ahhhhhh the woods...there is just something about trial running. I love it. It reminds me of cross country in high school. The smell of the woods take me back. And the time flies so much faster with the beautiful scenery. The trails are such a relief from the pounding pavement on your knees. It takes a little more effort to run in the "dirt" since you occasionally slip in the pinestraw or have to hop over tree stumps, but it keeps you on your toes. Plus I love the short uphill bursts every now and then.
I love the "lake" here, but the wind yesterday was just whipping off the water. After I dropped my sweatshirt I was pretty cold in the shade, but I finally warmed up again. Everyone I passed was dressed in pants and longs sleeves and there I was with my shorts. HA! Two laps around and I was about 6 miles in, so I knew it was time to head back to the house. I was sad to say goodbye to the woods and return to the pavement and cars whooshing by. Hello Atlanta. I headed back up Ashford Dunwoody and went through Backburn Park on my way home. It is a "trail" of sorts, but it's paved, so it is not the same. I like the fact that part of it is in the "woods", but most of the time is spent running past tennis courts or soccer fields. At least it changes up the scenery.
I was getting tired, but I had stretched before my run (could have stretched a little longer), so my hip flexor was not bothering me at all. I felt my knees a little sore on that last mile, but nothing like last week. I was happy with that progress. My body felt good otherwise. Not really out of breath and making pretty good time. One big hill later in my neighborhood and I hit the 8 mile mark! I was finished and feeling great! 8 miles down!
This picture makes me laugh because my head looks huge with that headband ear warmer and visor. Hey, it worked! My ears stayed warmed the whole time! Mom brought me a real ear warmer that only wraps around the back of your head and covers your ears as seen here:
I am excited to use this thing on my next run since it won't interfere with my visor or hat that I am wearing. Back to the run...
My stats were 8 miles in 1:18:59, which is an average 9:50 pace.
That is perfect for a long run. Nice and easy like Hal suggests.
Once I was through with the run it was time for the stick:
What is the stick? Oh geeze, it it is awesome. If you are a distance runner you need this thing.
The Stick provides the following benefits: (from the website)
And best of all:
Reduces Muscle Soreness, Stiffness & Pain
YES! Ok, I don't know about "dramatically improve strength and flexibility," but it definitely disperses lactic acid and accelerates muscle recovery. It's like a mini massage and it is so easy to use. Although, I will admit that it feels even better if someone will roll it for you :) The stick is used at Olympic Training Centers and even by the Mayo Clinic. It is hard to explain, but the Stick is a non-motorized device. It is composed of a semi-rigid core around which independent, 1 inch spindles freely spin over the muscles. You can use it on your neck, back, arms, everywhere really, but for runners - it is all about the legs!! My favorite is using it on my hamstring (above) and my calves (below). It is kind of hard to see in this pic, but you just hold the stick by the end handles and move it up and down while the spindles roll over your muscles. LOVELY :) Even better is when I do this after a hot shower. I never know what to do first - eat, shower, or stick? After my 8 miles I was tired, but not exhausted. I took off my shoes to find a big blister on my left toe :( and I noticed it was time for new shoes. I have these nike pegasus since last year about this time. With the amount of running I do, their time is about expired, so I will have to investigate some new ones. I like the pegasus though, so I may either just get these very same ones (if I can find them) or get the new version.
After running, David and I went to the grocery store and pulled some recipes from our new southern living. We got all the ingredients for two fun dinners - Enchilada Stack and Veggie Lasagna. We made the enchilada stack tonight and WHEW - it was awesome!! I also made homemade guac for the first time ever and it was delish! I had to take a pic of dinner because it was so yum. Enchilada stack topped with fresh sliced tomatoes, cilantro, green onions and avocado. A few multi-grain chips and homemade guac on the side!!
Happy Saturday!

No comments:
Post a Comment