Pages

Saturday, April 10, 2010

ING Half Marathon

Race day weather was cloudy and chilly. My girlfriend, Jenn and I met at the Marta station at 5:45 am, so that we could catch the train downtown and have time to check in before the race. The train ride was packed with runners and you could feel the excitement in the air! Jenn and I were feeling kind of nervous actually, but we knew it was just the pre-race jitters!

When we got off the train we walked to Centennial Olympic Park where the race was to start. There were people EVERYWHERE! We checked our bags and started stretching our cold muscles. I couldn't believe how chilly it was and the wind was blowing like it was going to start raining any second. We were all praying that that the rain would at least hold off until we were actually hot and sweaty!

We headed to the start line and found our starting corrals. This is always the most nerve racking time for me. I just want to start running already! Enough with all the build up! Soon it was 7 am and we were headed out.

The race course was one of my favorites because of all the awesome places we got to see. Like I mentioned, it started at Centennial Olympic Park in Downtown Atlanta and continued through the city to Georgia State University. We then ran past the Atlanta Civic Center and over the Jackson Street bridge with seriously one of the most spectacular skyline views of Atlanta I've ever seen! I had to slow down and just take in the view. It was so cool!

Then it was onto the Martin Luther King Jr Historic District by the house where Dr. King was born. It was an incredible feeling thinking that MLK had walked these very same streets that I was now running. And with that, the skies opened up and showered us with a little rain. It never poured - just drizzled, and drizzled, and drizzled some more. No one seemed to mind though as we were all pretty hot at this point.

The course continued through Atlanta neighborhoods - Old Fourth Ward, Inman Park and Little 5 Points- for miles 4-6. I think it was about there at Mile 6 or so that a girl running in the race next to me answered her cell phone. YES, she was running with her cell phone. Not in a bag or anything, just holding it in her hand for 13 miles. EEKK! Anyhow, she answered the phone (this was funny to see). When she hung up she looked over at me (I had no idea who this girl was) and she said, the first place runner just crossed the finish line. SAY WHAT? We had almost half the race to go and the first guy already finished. WOW!

Anyway, we continued running onto through the Poncey-Highland neighborhood where the Half Marathon course splits from the Marathon course. At this point we had just started mile 7 and I thought to myself, "I am so glad I am not running the MARATHON!" I felt bad for those guys as they turned the corner. They had 19 more miles to go!!! After the split, we ran into Piedmont Park. While in the park I realized that we were about 9.5 miles into the race. I felt like I was almost there!! I was excited, but soon started thinking about how far Piedmont Park was from Centennial Olympic (the finish) and I cringed. We still had awhile to go...
We then ran through Midtown and up some BRUTAL hills! Huge hills on Mile 10? Yikes!!!! I was exhausted. My knees were starting to ache. The course flattened out as we crossed the bridge over I-75/I-85 and ran through the Georgia Tech campus. Now I was at Mile 11 and thinking, "oh please, Lord get me through this!!!"

When we finally turned onto Marietta St I knew the finish line was coming soon! What a relief. My exhaustion turned into adrenaline when I say the 12 Mile Marker! Only one more mile to go! I started looking for my mom and my hubby. I knew they'd be around the last mile somewhere, but I wasn't exactly sure where. I knew I was getting close to the finish line as I could hear the music playing and crowds yelling. My excitement was growing. I saw the photographers on ladders who were taking crowd shots of everyone. I waved and smiled.


I knew this was it, the finish line was coming, but where was the 13 mile marker? I still hadn't seen it.

We turned a big corner and BOOM! There were the crowds, the music, the bells ringing, the homemade signs being waved in the air. 13 Miles and only .1 to go! I could see the finish. "Thank you Lord! I did it" I thought. I lifted my hands in victory and just when I did I heard, "GOOOOOOOO ASHLEY!" I turned to the left and there they were - My mom and David standing in the COLD and drizzle cheering for me. I let out a "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and kept running with a BIG SMILE on my face.

Seeing my family cheering me on is always my favorite part of any race. David got the whole thing on video! It was awesome. I am attaching a link to the video so everyone can check it out.

As I was about to cross the finish line my teammate in her 65 Roses shirt patted me on the back. "Let's go team!" she said. As she crossed the finish line right infront of me I saw the back of her shirt where she'd written, "For my daughter" and I thought, "yeah, this is what running this race was all about...raising money for CF!" What a way to end my journey!


I crossed over that orange and blue mat and I was done. YES! What a sense of accomplishment! It was such a wonderful experience even if it was COLD and a little rainy at times.

I am so grateful for so many people who donated to this awesome cause. Our team, 65 Roses, raised almost $60,000.00 for Cystic Fibrosis! Truly amazing!

watch me cross the finish line here ---> http://vimeo.com/11402036

No comments:

Post a Comment